For a construction project to be successful, it needs a lot of resources like capital, labor, and materials. Construction machinery and equipment transfer supplies are dexterous devices which take off the burden of manual labor and help cut costs.
Machine operators and maintenance personnel must safeguard themselves near construction equipment.
There are several types of construction equipment available in the market ranging from ditch-digging machines to carrying vehicles.
To satisfy the demands of the building industry, many revolutionary machines have been created. However, this was not always the case. During the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids and the Great Wall of China, only manual labor was used. Workers put in intense work all day and carried out their duties to the extent of their physical capabilities. Today, the power of machines boosts production to levels that workers could only have dreamed of in the past.
Construction machinery comprises all appliances and tools used in the building process. Backhoes, dump trucks, and graders are examples of machinery used on construction sites that are often referred to as "equipment" by construction experts. These machines perform a variety of tasks, and each serves as an integral part of the operation.
The two primary types of modern construction equipment are earthmoving and material handling. Both equipment is used across the different industries, particularly in heavy construction. Below, we examine the equipment that falls under each category in depth.
However, before we categorize construction equipment and machinery companies in UAE, let's first describe the most common machines seen on building sites.
With knowledge about common tools and equipment, workers are better able to recognize possible risks and take the necessary actions to protect themselves from any critical injury.
Here is a list of some of the most popular kinds of construction machinery used on construction sites:
- This kind of hydraulic excavator is equipped with a hinged boom and a bucket that pulls toward itself to transport various natural and artificial objects. At the end of the bucket, there are jaws that can move to grab and hold things.
- These workhorses are equipped with a broad horizontal metal blade on the front that moves and pushes trash, dirt, soil, snow, ice, rubble, sand, and other materials. Instead of wheels,bulldozers
are set up on moving tracks.
Cherry Pickers - Equipped with a hydraulic crane and an elevated platform at the end of the boom, these devices assist in lifting and lowering people to definite heights.
The heavy drum of a compactor helps to press things down so that they are fully compressed. When laying asphalt roads, road rollers are often used.
Cranes - Cranes
are important for moving heavy things from one place to another. They have cables and pulleys that are used to lift and lower materials. A tower crane has a big vertical mast from which a big horizontal crane arm extends. This machine makes it possible to lift steel to high levels of multi-story buildings.
- These trucks transport large amounts of bulky materials to the building site. They carry heavy things like coal, dirt, gravel, sand, and trash.
- Used in both civil engineering and surface mining, this excavating equipment has a bucket dragged horizontally by a cable throughout the excavation operation.
- These machines run on diesel and have a bucket on the end of a two-part boom. They are used for digging trenches, holes, and building foundations.
- These are important machines for building roads and mines. They have a long blade that is used to smooth out and flatten surfaces.
- These massive vehicles transport big equipment and cargo to the construction site.
- The job of these machines is to move large or heavy building materials
like bricks and pipes. These machines don't dig like the backhoe loader does. They have a big bucket on the front so that they can lift and move things.
- These trucks are used to make concrete on building sites. Cement, sand, and water are mixed and stirred together to create the concrete mixture.
- Before the compactor can press down on materials during road construction, the paver must spread the paving material, such as asphalt, on the road. Pavers spread the material out evenly, but a compactor or roller still needs to be used on the road afterward to make sure it is fully compact.
Pile boring machines
- They are big machines that drill a round, vertical hole in the ground. This lets workers put steel supports for buildings in the hole.
- After the boring machines have done their job, pile-drivers make sure that piles are driven into the ground at the right depth. This machine is needed to build support for the ground.
- A wheel tractor scraper, also called a belly scraper, is often used to move small amounts of dirt over short distances. It has a front blade that digs into the ground, and a conveyer belt moves the dirt into the scraper's back bed. These machines are one of the most important tools for building roads.
- The telescopic boom on a telehandler can be raised or lowered to lift heavy, bulky items to the right height.
- These look like big circular saws or chainsaws and are used to dig trenches. There are two kinds of trenchers: ones with wheels and ones with chains. Both are used to dig channels for laying cables or pipes, or to make ditches for water to flow through.
Wrecking ball cranes
- These are used to tear down buildings that are too old or don't have a robust foundation. A big steel ball swings into a building and wrecks it quickly.
In terms of workload and time, not all construction projects are the same. Even a small backhoe might be too much equipment for someone who just wants to build a garden in their backyard. But heavy construction is a different story.
You might want to look for heavy equipment companies in the UAE. For example, a wrecking ball is almost always needed to tear down an old commercial building, and a crane is needed to move heavy steel into place.
Civil engineering projects like roads, bridges, dams, and tunnels are built by people who work in the heavy construction industry. Let's take a look at two types of machines that are often used for these kinds of jobs: earthmovers and material handlers.
Earthmovers are specially made vehicles whose main job is to move a lot of dirt to make room for new building projects. Most likely, the people who built the Egyptian Pyramids mentioned earlier only had a hoe, a pick, and a shovel. Thousands of people would have worked hard to move the earth by hand so that the Pyramids could be built. Today, machines do this kind of hard work much faster and with less strain on the body.
Earthmovers are used all over the world in places like mining, building roads, and civil engineering. One of the most common ways to use these machines is to turn undeveloped land into commercial or residential land.
Examples of common earthmovers are:
- Dump Trucks
Excavators are one of the first pieces of earth-moving equipment
to show up at a construction site and stay there until the job is done. They dig up the ground to make room for the foundation and landscaping of a building project that will be built soon.
All kinds of earth-moving tools let construction crews start a job on the right foot.
After excavators clear the land and move the dirt, material-handling equipment comes into the picture. The most important job of this type of equipment on a construction site is to move all the raw materials, like pipes, steel, and wood, to where they need to be. Once the material gets there, these machines move it from one place to another.
Among the most common material handlers are:
- Heavy Haulers
We've only talked about a few of the big machines that are used to move things. There are still many tools, like the wheelbarrow, that are used by hand to move small amounts of materials.
When operating, maintaining, repairing, or working in the vicinity of heavy machinery, the risk of death is very high. Getting caught in or between machinery is the fourth most common cause of accidents on construction sites. About 7% of all construction worker deaths are caused by this kind of accident. When a machine is running, everyone who is working nearby should be alert and aware that there are risks.
PPE is one of the most important ways to keep workers safe. On a construction site, workers must always wear hi-vis safety vests, hi-vis jackets, hi-vis rainwear, and hi-vis shirts. People who operate big machines and equipment must be able to tell apart other workers on the job site who are doing other things. Also, machines have moving parts that can quickly send out flying objects at any time. This is why workers need to wear safety glasses.
Safety vests with high visibility should be worn by everyone on a construction site, especially those who are working near heavy construction machinery.
Let's not forget about the people who keep the machines and tools used in construction running. At some point, every piece of machinery needs to be fixed. Maintenance workers replace broken mechanical parts and take equipment apart and put it back together again. Any time they do these things, they could hurt their hands. Chemicals, cuts and punctures, and heat can all cause these kinds of injuries. Most likely, people who rebuild mechanical parts will need welding gear to keep them safe from sparks and hot metal.
Construction equipment supplier
To get the best machinery companies in UAE, you need to find and work with only the most well-known and trustworthy suppliers in Dubai. You can check out a leading online business directory to find out everything you need to know about Construction Machinery & Equipment Suppliers in Dubai. In the same way, you can find out if the machine or piece of equipment you want is in stock and what the best price is for it.
ATN Info is a comprehensive online business directory made by ATN Media
. It has listings for hundreds of the best companies in Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi that sell construction machinery and equipment. These suppliers meet the wide range of needs and requirements of individuals, contractors, and businesses. The leading supplier will have plenty of all kinds of construction machinery in stock, so you can get the best deal and get the most for your money.